newser

(NEWSER) – Two teenagers accused of taking part in a gang rape that shocked New York City were turned in by their own mothers, police say. Two other suspects were apprehended and another is still at large, according to police, who say that two of the teens in custody are 15 years old, one is 17, and one is 14, reports the New York Daily News.

In a statement Sunday, Mayor Bill de Blasio said he was "disgusted and deeply saddened" by the horrific Thursday night attack on an 18-year-old girl who had been in a Brooklyn playground with her father, the APreports. "Every New Yorker in every neighborhood deserves to feel safe and protected, and we will not stop until the perpetrators of this disturbing attack are held accountable for their actions," the mayor said.

Read the full story on Newser.com

Photo: Getty Images