UPDATE: A Navy spokesman says there is no evidence of shots fired at the Naval Medical Center in San Diego. The center's commanding officer Captain Curt Jones says law enforcement officers continues to clear buildings. He says the person who reported the shots shortly after 8 a.m. local time was inside a building at the center.
Police continue to clear buildings after a report of shots fired this morning at the Navy Medical Center in San Diego. People who were inside buildings at the center are coming outside with their hands up and showing identification. Police and SWAT teams responded to the compound in Balboa Park after they received a call from someone saying they heard three shots from the basement of one of the buildings. So far there are no reports of any casualties, but the center is advising its staff on its Facebook page to run, fight or hide.
KGTV reports that 3 shots were fired and there no reports of injuries.
#BREAKING: Report of 3 shots fired outside of Building 26 at Naval Medical Center in Balboa Park. Public advised to stay away from area.— 10News (@10News) January 26, 2016
Despite that report Navy personnel say there has been no confirmation of shots fired. In the meantime, buildings at the Naval hospital are on lockdown. There is a child care center at the compound and the Navy says the center is secure and that all children are safe. The medical center is located in Balboa Park, not far from the San Diego Zoo.