After much anticipation, Sia's brand new album, This Is Acting, is here. The album is her seventh studio album, and is comprised of songs she wrote that were intended for other artists including Adele, Rihanna, Beyonce, and more. She told Ryan Seacrest of them album:
"Most of the songs, if not all of them, I wrote for other people. And they were rejected. And so, generally, they're songs that aren't really from my perspective, so it feels like acting."
Sia has revealed who some of the songs on This Is Acting were intended for, while others you may guess based on their distinct sound. Check out everything that we know about Sia's new album below:
1. "Bird Set Free" was written for Adele, and at the last minute was rejected. The song was intended for the movie Pitch Perfect 2.
She tells Ryan Seacrest, "She actually did cut that one, but last minute she was like, 'Everybody is saying that it just sounds like a Sia song."
2. "Alive" was also written for Adele. The song was actually co-written with Adele herself and Tobias Jesso Jr., and from Adele's perspective, but was ultimately rejected for Adele's new album. Rihanna was also offered the song, but turned it down as well.
Sia tells Ryan Seacrest, "I was on a session with her [Adele] for her record. And so we wrote three songs in two days, and none of them made the cut, and this was one of them. And I said to her 'Do you mind if I pitch it to, let's say, Rihanna?' And she said, 'Yeah, but can you take my vocal off it, because I don't want my vocal floating around out there. on a demo."
3. "Reaper" was produced by Kanye West, and was meant for Rihanna's new album Anti.
She tells Rolling Stone, "I went into the studio to write for Rihanna with Kanye and neither of them showed up and stayed for less than an hour. They had two tracks. They told me what they had wanted. There were notes from Kanye, and I can't even remember what they were. I remember I just raced in and raced out, and I thought there was something about the chorus that seemed fun about this song, but I never thought it would see the light of day. My manager pushed for this song to be on the record, but I don't care about it."
4. Sia also tells Rolling Stone that "Cheap Trills" was also meant for Rihanna.
5. "Footprints" was meant for Beyonce.
Sia tells Rolling Stone, "That was a Beyoncé reject that I wrote in the Hamptons a couple years ago."
6. "One Million Bullets" is the only song that she wrote for herself in mind.
She told Rolling Stone, "That one I liked — and I already had so much of the album completed — but I loved it and didn't want to give it to anyone else."
7. "Move Your Body" was intended for Shakira.
In a radio interview this past November, Sia confirmed that "Move Your Body" was originally pitched to Shakira.
8. Other artists who rejected songs that ended up on This Is Acting include Demi Lovato and Katy Perry.
She told Ryan Seacrest, "I have rejects from Rihanna, Adele, Shakira … Beyoncé, Demi Lovato [and] Katy [Perry]."