(NEWSER) – A passing construction worker saved the life of a disabled woman on Wednesday after noticing smoke billowing from her home in Milton, Vermont. Marie O'Connor, 83, was home alone and cooking when a grease fire erupted around 10:30am. She tried to escape, but her battery-operated wheelchair got stuck in a doorway, reports WPTZ.

Chris Fanning tells the Burlington Free Press he crawled inside the home after hearing screams and pulled O'Connor out as "the back of the wheelchair was on fire." O'Connor was taken to a hospital, where she is listed in good condition with burns to her head and arms. A fire chief says the blaze "could so easily have been a fatal." Fanning says he was just "at the right place at the right time."

Read the full story on