Suge Knight Pleads No Contest To Murder, Sentenced To 28 Years In Prison
By Hayden Brooks
September 20, 2018
Suge Knight struck up a plea deal in his murder case, as per a new report from TMZ, which was published on Thursday afternoon (September 20).
Shortly after 2:00 PM PT, TMZ reported that Knight was sentenced to 28 years in prison after pleading no contest to voluntary manslaughter in the murder of Terry Carter at the L.A. County Superior Court. It's a considerable sentence, considering he had been facing the possibility of life in prison. Additionally, the former Death Row Records executive will get credit for the 3 1/2 years he's awaited trial. He is also said to be on parole for three years after serving his prison sentence.
During the sentencing, the 53-year-old reportedly cracked a joke when the judge announced defendant instructions, which included a phrase about the possibility of deportation following conviction. "So, ICE can come and get me," he said during the hearing, prompting laughter among the courtroom.
As the story goes, Suge ran over Carter in a parking lot in Compton's Tam's Burgers in January 2015, before fleeing the scene entirely. TMZ previously shared surveillance footage of the former industry heavyweight throwing his truck in reverse, hitting one man and then driving forward over Carter. The incident killed him immediately. Knight argued that he was not trying to run over either men, insisting that he was escaping the scene because he thought both of them were about to shoot him. Suge was arrested after the incident and has been locked up ever since until this week's trial.
Photo: Getty Images