(NEWSER) – London's firefighters say sun rays refracted by a Nutella jar likely caused a house fire. Investigators believe the glass jar—which had been emptied of the hazelnut spread—had been placed on a window sill and refracted sunlight, setting blinds alight. According to a statement posted by the brigade, the family was not at home, but the blaze killed a dog. "It sounds far-fetched that a jar containing a few rubber bands caused a severe house fire, but that's exactly what happened," says an investigator.

Read more from Newser.com

PHOTO: Getty Images