Listen to Yahoo! Sports Minute on iHeartRadio

Yahoo! Sports Minute

(Yahoo!) The Seahawks committed 13 penalties and almost relinquished a 17-point lead on the road to a one-win team, but in the end they were bailed out by their savior. Russell Wilson completed 18-of-24 passes for 201 yards and two touchdowns, and he rushed for a career-high 122 yards on 11 carries as the Seahawks held off the Washington Redskins 27-17 on Monday.


Whether it was his legs, his arm or his creative mind, Wilson kept the Redskins at arm’s length the entire game. Wilson's 122 rushing yards were a Monday Night Football record, and he became only the fourth quarterback since the NFL merger of 1970 to pass for 200 or more yards and a touchdown and rush for 100 or more and a score.

After a 15-day layoff, the Seahawks’ execution was actually very sharp early on. They streaked down the field with ridiculous ease on their first drive, with Wilson rushing twice for 16 and 29 yards with few defenders even close to him on the second scramble. Wilson then capped the opening drive with a 15-yard strike to Jermaine Kearse, who was wide open for the touchdown and a 7-0 Seahawks lead.

The Redskins’ first two drives totaled 16 yards of offense and resulted in two punts. Meanwhile, the Seahawks rushed for 108 yards — 80 on five scrambles by Wilson — in the first quarter.

The Seahawks ventured deep into the red zone but were hit by two critical penalties — a hold and a false start (ask Jeff Triplette about that one) nullified two Percy Harvin touchdowns, one rushing and one on a pass. They couldn’t convert after that and had to settle for a 40-yard Steven Hauschka field goal to push the lead to 10-0.

Following a Redskins three and out that ran off less than two minutes, the Seahawks struck again. The money play was Wilson scrambling around and evading pressure to find tight end Cooper Helfet on his first NFL reception for 36 yards. One play after that, Wilson ran into the end zone untouched for a touchdown. He’d have 89 yards rushing at the half.

The Redskins made one gasp before halftime. After three Alfred Morris runs gained 20 yards, Kirk Cousins — who otherwise struggled mightily in the first half — rolled away from pressure and found a streaking DeSean Jackson for a 60-yard score as he beat Seahaks safety Kam Chancellor in cover-3.

Jackson started the game by dropping two early passes and running a poor route on a play where Kirk Cousins wanted to find him, but Jackson would step up a few times with big plays.

But the Seahawks would keep the 17-7 lead through halftime when the Redskins couldn’t move past their 30-yard line with just under two minutes left and two timeouts in their pocket.

To start the second half, the Redskins came out firing. Cousins hit Jackson for 57 yards to immediately get them rolling, and a hands to the face penalty on Cliff Avril had the Redskins in business in the red zone two minutes into the half. But Cousins was stopped on a third-and-short sneak, and the Redskins settled for a 27-yard Kai Forbath field goal to make it a one-score game at 17-10.

Redskins head coach Jay Gruden called for an onsides kick, which was poorly executed; the Seahawks recovered easily. After the Redskins never were able to seize the momentum again. 

The Seahawks embarked on a strange drive at the start of the fourth quarter following a few punts by each team. They appeared to hit on a long touchdown from Wilson to Harvin, but a James Carpenter penalty called it back — the third Harvin touchdown to be nullified by penalty. Undaunted, the Seahawks drove to the Redskins’ 32-yard line but were held on third and short. Lining up for a 50-yard field-goal attempt, the Seahawks pulled off an excellent fake as holder Jon Ryan plunged forward for the first down. Six plays later, Wilson flipped the ball out to Marshawn Lynch for a 9-yard touchdown catch. The massive drive lasted nearly eight minutes.

Interestingly, Lynch didn’t start the game — and he didn't appeared injured — but finished with 17 rushes for 72 yards, plus five receptions for 45 yards and that TD grab. 

The Redskins chipped away on the next drive, with two passes to Roy Helu for 20 and 22 yards keeping them alive. Cousins capped the 11-play, 80-yard drive by hitting a wide-open Andre Roberts for a 6-yard touchdown to make it 24-17 Seahawks.

That’s when Wilson closed it out. He was under heavy fire from the Redskins’ rush and appeared to be dead to rights on third down at midfield on the front side of the two-minute warning. The Redskins could have gotten the ball back with more than two minutes left, plus one timeout.

But none of three Redskins defenders — Ryan Kerrigan, Brian Orakpo or Chris Baker — could track Wilson, who ran away from trouble and flipped the ball (against his body) to a wide-open Lynch for a 30-yard catch that would be the nail in the coffin.

Hauschka made it academic in the final minute with a 43-yard field goal. However, Wilson was the real closer Monday night.

Read more from Yahoo! Sports