Seth Rogen and James Franco have canceled all of their upcoming scheduled press appearances this week for The Interview as a result of the threats made by the Sony hackers, Gossip Cop has learned. An NBC rep confirms to Gossip Cop that a slated Franco and Rogen joint interview with jimmy Fallon on Wednesday’s “Tonight Show” is no longer happening.
Additionally, The Interview was set to have a special premiere screening in New York on Thursday, but has been canceled, too. The Carmike theater chain has also said it will not show The Interview when it officially opens later this month on Christmas Day. As Gossip Cop previously reported, the so-called “Guardians of Peace,” the group claiming responsibility for hacking Sony, is threatening the safety of people going to movie theaters showing The Interview.
Invoking 9/11 and promising revenge over the “greed” of Sony, the group issued a statement on Tuesday that read: “We have already promised a Christmas gift to you. This is the beginning of the gift. We will clearly show it to you at the very time and places The Interview be shown, including the premiere, how bitter fate those who seek fun in terror should be doomed to.”
The Department of Homeland Security, however, says there’s “no credible intelligence” that terrorist acts are being plotted against movie theaters in the U.S.
The Rogen-Franco movie is about two American journalists who try to assassinate North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un. It has been speculated, though not confirmed, that the Sony hackers, who have leaked personal information about and professional correspondences from Sony employees, have ties to North Korea.