Today, we are happy to welcome a past client of both John and mine, Mr. Randy Magner.
- Randy actually, you bought your house, what was it? Back in 2014 or 15?
- 2014, six years ago.
- Okay, so, Tony and I both had the pleasure of helping you find the home and Tony secured the financing for you to purchase the home.
- Finally found our dream house. You did a very good job of locating that for us.
- We needed to get into a certain school district so my daughter could go to a performing arts school. And we looked at a lot of houses before we finally found the right one.
- Yeah, as I recall, we started off in the Warren Con/Troy section.
- And as we discovered, there was very few houses for sale in that part of Troy that fit what you were looking for. So, as we started to broaden out the search, we ended up having more things to look at, more choices and, of course, in 2014 it was becoming a very competitive market. So, we had to move quickly.
- And as I recall, he was a pastor and also considered himself a bit of a handyman.
- Yes, he considered himself a handyman, yes. We'll get into that.
- So, you move into the house and, I think the first thing to go on the fritz was your dishwasher. Right?
- It quit working on you and it was a fairly new dishwasher, so we had the home warranty in place.
- We had the owner's warranty.
- So, the home warranty eventually replaced, got you a new dishwasher.
- Did you not do some other things to the house once you moved in?
- All I did was painted it, and we were done.
- Okay. So, we had nice countertops, granite countertops--
- Nice cabinets, hardwood floors on the whole first level, hardwood floors upstairs--
- We also, we moved the laundry room from the basement up to the first floor.
- And I had the master suite redone as well as the master bath was entirely updated with granite countertops, new cabinetry and ceramic tile.
- That's right.
- And a whirlpool tub.
- You did a nice job with that.
- We sold our house in Royal Oak and it sold, you sold it, within the first week.
- Now with you saying that, it was 2013 that you bought the house, 2013. Because 2014 is where we're going with the story.
- Is that when Snowzilla came through here? The Polar Vortex and Snowzilla. We had like six feet of snow in the course of one winter.
- Yes, and--
- That was the time, it was 2013, early 2014. We got hammered, in fact, I remember coming to, you had a housewarming party and there was like, it seemed like there was six feet of snow on the ground.
- Yeah. So, as many of you who lived in Michigan in 2014 probably remember, around about August 14th, 2014, we had a horrific rain storm. And it seemed like the cloud just sat overhead and continued to rain on us.
- Yeah, in fact, I can recall, I was, my office was at 13 1/2 in Woodward, at that time, and I recall leaving to go home about 6:30 and Woodward was starting to flood in some areas, or get water over it, the road. And cars just started backing up. Some were around 12 Mile and the rain just kept coming. I remember trying to cut through to get back east, to make my way back home and I remember trying to come across 11 1/2 Mile, and it was flooded. So, I had to turn around, come back to Woodward and then try to get through side streets. And some of the side streets were so flooded, in fact, that I had to just, I was doing what other cars were doing which was just driving over people's lawns on the sidewalks to avoid the big flood areas. I mean, you did what you had to do. And, it basically took me from 6:30 until about midnight to get home.
- You were one of those people?
Avoiding Real Estate Turbulence
If you can never get enough true crime... Congratulations, you’ve found your people.
Stuff You Should Know
If you've ever wanted to know about champagne, satanism, the Stonewall Uprising, chaos theory, LSD, El Nino, true crime and Rosa Parks then look no further. Josh and Chuck have you covered.
Fake Doctors, Real Friends with Zach and Donald
You know what's long, tedious and boring? Surgery. You know what isn't? This new podcast! Join Scrubs co-stars and real-life best friends Zach Braff and Donald Faison for a weekly comedy podcast where they relive the hit TV show, one episode at a time. Each week, these BFFs will discuss an episode of Scrubs, sharing behind-the-scenes stories and reminiscing on some of their favorite memories from filming. They’ll also connect with Scrubs super fans and feature beloved show cast members for exclusive interviews.