Fitness, marriage, food, sex.... and fart jokes. Drop the fat pants and join us – fitness writers Chris and Dani Shugart – for a variety show. Hear the latest research. Play a game. Check out our weird discoveries. And find out what to grab at the store. We've got a combined 25 years of editing and interviewing the experts (doctors, coaches, and nutrition specialists) and have written some of the highest-read fitness-related articles on the internet.
On Our Minds
We finally caught the virus everyone's been talking about. So here's how long science says we'll be immune to it: STUDY
And here's what researchers say about how long your immunity lasts should you choose to get the jab: INFO
There's so much contradicting info that we'll be the first to admit that we know nothing... except that sunlight appears to helpful in fighting it and your odds of surviving ...
On Our Minds (1:37)
We discuss the cookbook (diet book?) we've been working on for those who want lean, muscular bodies. Then we address an article about a cookbook author who seems to believe that those who lower the fat or carbs in a recipe are fat-phobic. Check out both the article about her and the article she wrote: Here and Here
This week's quiz is all about the weird stuff that turns people on. Check out t...
On Our Minds (0:48)
We start with a correction on last week's one-kettlebell workout, an update on the tuna at Subway, and a promotion for my (Dani's) new T-Nation article: How Fat Are You? Let's Find Out!
Plus, we get into some deadlifting strength standards, and why my one rep max has stalled out... but I'm not sure if I should care.
This week's quiz is all about the edgy terminology young, single peo...
On Our Minds (0:42)
If you only had one kettlebell or dumbbell, could you figure out a way to have a great workout? We share what we'd do and talk about Coach Dan John's epic article from 2004, The One Dumbbell Workout. Also... check out the model in those old photos. (It's Chris!)
This week's quiz is a hodgepodge of health and relationship science. If you'd like to take a closer look at the topics we ...
On Our Minds (0:45)
Do we need to make our future selves disabled in order to prove how "hardcore" we are now? We dive into this topic and discuss solutions for getting off what Seth Godin calls the hedonic treadmill. Listen here.
We also talked about how dopamine affects motivation and why that could be the reason people continue chasing goals and letting those goals wreck them. Here's a scholarly article on dopamine.
On Our Minds (0:41)
If you have high self-esteem does that automatically make you healthy? That's what Cosmo magazine seems to be saying. The publication shared 11 women's stories, and then labeled them all as healthy on their magazine cover. In big bold font. Check it out.
What they didn't include in the article was any valid health markers. There were no blood tests, heart rate metrics, nor was there any real proof of...
On Our Minds
A person could go crazy being scared of every potential toxin and pollutant in the world. But are there some things worth avoiding? We get into the details of a few products we avoid and why. And if you'd like to take a deeper dive, check out these articles:
The New Chemicals That Make You Store Fat
The T-Killing Toxins
This week's quiz is all about marriage and health... and healthy marriage. See if you ...
On Our Minds (0:45)
Feeling a little down is SO common this time of year that there's a term called, "the January blues". Can you relate? If so, you're in good company.
Luckily there are a ton of ways to fight it. Here are the 8 things we discussed.
1. Vitamin D
2. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
4. Red Meat
6. Low Testosterone
7. Negative Thoughts
Clearly there more things that could go on this lis...
On Our Minds (0:44)
Can women rev up their sex drive with one common vitamin? Dani shares what happened when she was trying to improve her immunity.
This discovery could mean one of these two things:
1. Filling a deficiency may make women's sexual health better.
2. This vitamin has special properties that can make the average woman get a case of "the hornies" when intake is bumped up on occasion.
For more info on the...
Test your knowledge (or just your memory) by playing along with some of our favorite quizzes!
And if you're able to get all of the questions right, drop us a note. Find Chris on Twitter, find Dani on Instagram. Or head over to fitpantspodcast.com to leave a comment and see the full show notes!
On Our Minds
What can you do to keep from gaining fat during a layoff? We answer a listener's question about staying lean while recovering from surgery. But this info applies no matter what's keeping you from getting your regularly-scheduled workouts.
Can you pass our quiz on insane celebrity transformations? If you've been keeping up with entertainment news, you'll probably ace this. (Or at least beat Dani.)
On Our Minds
Is spot reduction impossible? That's what most people say, but it seems like there's a little more to it. Check out our experiences and what a few (more progressive) coaches are saying.
It's all about exercise science. How does HIIT affect your sleep if you do it before bed? What do big calves have to do with life expectancy? What's the best way to isolate the hamstrings? Test your knowledge, then ge...
On Our Minds: We delve into some of the worst fitness advice ever and counter it with what will really work for long-term leanness.
Quiz: What are the commonalities among happy people? How often do they have sex, what kind of music do they listen to, how spontaneous or routine are their lives, and what activities do they participate in? Take the quiz and find out!
Newsflash: How does your voice affect your sex life? Well, according...
• What's the best solution if you struggle with workout consistency? Hear what ab-building program Dani is using to build, not just abs, but consistency.
• Who diets more: women with good looking husbands or men with good looking wives? Take this quiz on physical beauty and "very ugly" populations according to actual researchers!
• Will nutrition rules destroy your life... or lead to a lean, healthy body? We discuss a sur...
• Listener question: What are the best strategies that'll help you break out of the friend zone? We get to the bottom of it.
• Game time: How should women train differently than men? Take this quiz that covers women's fitness and other lady-centric stats.
• Newsflash: What type of cardio can burn up to 4 pounds of fat (in only three workouts per week)? Hear about the study that compared this type of workout to long distanc...
• How can you get what you want without being a turd? We get into the differences between assertiveness, passiveness, aggressiveness.... and passive aggressiveness.
• What infamous drug was called "mommy's little helper" and what drug are mommies using today? Take our quiz on drugs throughout history.
• Do full body workouts actually build more muscle than body part splits? Chris found a study showing that it just might.
• Is obesity caused by ignorance and poor choices? Hear about the controversial statements the CEO of Whole Foods made, and the backlash that came from it. Plus, get our take!
• What strength sport causes the most injuries and what old advice are experts telling people to ignore now? Take our quiz on athletic injuries!
• What five questions can determine whether or not your relationship will last? Answer these somewhat uncomfortable ...
• What exercise trains your full body from head to toe? Hint: You pick up the weight and walk. Get the details on our favorite ways to do it.
• Can you pass our quiz on the latest studies in health, fitness, relationships and psychology? Give it a shot!
• What are the three signs someone is flirting with you? Hear what researchers had to say.
• How good are you at accepting compliments? Find out how it affects the way people perceive...
• What's a fun way to get strong and build work capacity at the same time? Try the 20-reps method for a crazy challenge that'll help with both goals.
• What sex and romance scenes do people most want to recreate in their own lives? Take the quiz and see if you can beat my score!
• Could a fecal transplant help you keep weight off? Hear about a recent study researchers did on dieters and their gut microbiome.
• What zero-carb s...
• At what point does discipline become disordered and are diets really a bad thing? We get into the details.
• Is it fear or phobia? See if you can pass our quiz on the crazy things people run from.
• What common over-the-counter drug can cause you to take bigger risks and lower your sense of empathy? Bonus: It might be the perfect solution for the risk-averse.
• What weird plush toy do you need to buy for the millennial in your life?
If you can never get enough true crime... Congratulations, you’ve found your people.
This is what the news should sound like. The biggest stories of our time, told by the best journalists in the world. Hosted by Michael Barbaro. Twenty minutes a day, five days a week, ready by 6 a.m.
Current and classic episodes, featuring compelling true-crime mysteries, powerful documentaries and in-depth investigations.