VET Talk Radio Podcasts

Why Ingesting A Spot-On Is Bad News! - Dr Ingrid Goodman

June 16, 20166 min
Spot-ons Given Orally…Does It Really Matter? YES!!!! A 6-month old Labrador puppy became a real-life ‘Sleeping Beauty’ after her owners mistakenly poured a well-known flea & heartworm treatment down her throat…instead of onto her back, in what’s thought to have been an ill-conceived money-saving experiment. Emergency Vets at the Animal Referral Hospital initially feared the comatose pup would require a lengthy hospital stay under constant supervision until the effect of the drugs wore off…and then they came up with a much speedier, albeit expensive alternative, ‘Intralipid’. Dr Ingrid Goodman joins us to explain what happened. Further information: DVM360 extract: Successful use of ILE therapy has been reported anecdotally in veterinary patients for ivermectin, moxidectin, permethrin, loperamide, baclofen, bupropion, marijuana, and sertraline toxicoses. http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/case-11-1 Specific Veterinary usage of Intralipid therapy: http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/art

Chat About Why Ingesting A Spot-On Is Bad News! - Dr Ingrid Goodman