New Study Shows Why You Should Never Blow Out Candles On A Birthday Cake

By Dave Basner

July 28, 2017

Birthday parties are supposed to be fun celebrations, but it turns out they could be making you sick.  

According to a study from the Journal of Food Research, blowing out the candles on a birthday cake increases the amount of bacteria on the food by an average of 1400% and it could be as much as 12,000%!

The good news is that unless the birthday boy or girl is ill, the chance of getting sick is pretty slim, but it's still enough to give a germaphobe nightmares. 

One tip for if you are served a cake that someone blew the candles out on is to scrape off the icing off the top of your piece. Bob appetit! 

Photo Credit: Getty

Advertise With Us
Music, radio and podcasts, all free. Listen online or download the iHeart App.


© 2024 iHeartMedia, Inc.