15 Times Mariah Carey Threw Legendary Shade
March 26, 2021
Legendary vocalist and all-around pop queen Mariah Carey is not known not only for her genuine talent, seemingly unending list of mega-hits and status in the industry as a musical icon, but also for her ability to end a conversation with a single, searing line.
We compiled 15 of her most shady quotes, whether it's taking pot shots at her contemporaries or advising an American Idol contestant to stay away from singing, no one is safe from Mariah's ire. Check out what the queen had to say below!
1. In response to “What do you think of Jennifer Lopez?” Mariah delivered the iconic answer, “I don’t know her.”
2. “I don’t hear you, I don’t see you, you don’t exist to me.” - On Entertainment Tonight
3. “Who said I had fun? I had a little fun." - During her stint on American Idol when fellow co-host Randy Jackson inferred they were enjoying themselves.
4. “I have a rule that I will not be seen in fluorescent lighting without sunglasses.” - Mariah's World
5. “I really haven’t paid attention to Madonna since I was like in 7th or 8th grade, when she used to be popular.” - CLASSIC Interview
6. “I don’t really know her but if controversy is what she needs to sell her album, then I’m glad I could help.” - on Katy Perry after the “Teenage Dream” singer said Mariah is “good for a throwback.”
7. “I STILL don’t know her.” - Speaking to TMZ, referencing her legendary JLo shade.
8. In response to “Ariana Grande… They say she’s the young Mariah.” she said “First of all, I’m still young.” - Breakfast Club interview
9. Reporter: Are there any female artists you think are just killing it in the music industry? Carey: There’s a few. Reporter: And they would be? Carey: They would be lovely ladies, but it’s not their day. - to Entertainment Weekly
10. “Have you ever considered being a DJ? You can still deal with music but you don’t necessarily have to be a singer." - To a contestant on American Idol
11. "I mean, I have five Grammys. That's cute ... I won two Grammys the first year I started, but after that, [the Grammys] are like, 'We don't go with the people that are selling a lot of records and are popular; we're gonna go the opposite way.' So I got screwed out of certain years. I wasn't bitter about it. I was just like, 'OK, well, I guess I'm not standing here barefoot onstage singing and trying to go a certain way. I'm just me.'" - in an interview with V Magazine
12. “They don’t do $2 million videos anymore. Anybody can make a video now.” - On music videos, to Cosmopolitan
13. "This is... Not approved (But it's the thought that counts)" - Her reaction to a fan's homemade Christmas ornament on Twitter.
14. “If somebody or something didn’t pertain to the actual meaning of Mariah Carey, as is the title, then they aren’t in the book.” - to Vulture on who she included in her memoir
15. In her memoir, she references Lopez without directly mentioning her by name. Instead, she referred to her as "another female entertainer on our label (whom I don't know)."
Photos: Getty Images