21 Facts You Didn't Know About Our 2019 iHeartRadio ALTer EGO Lineup
By Katrina Natress
September 28, 2018
On January 19, 2019 iHeartRadio will host its second annual ALTer EGO at Los Angeles’ Forum. The one-day festival showcases some of the biggest names in alternative music, as well as some of the most buzzing up-and-coming acts. This year’s lineup sees heavyweights twenty one pilots, Muse, The Killers, Weezer, and Rise Against, as well as rising stars Bishop Briggs and the Revivalists, take the stage. Before tickets go on sale on October 5 at 10am PST -- and the Alt 98.7 pre-sale on October 4 at 10am PST -- get to know each of the ALTer EGO bands a little better. Scroll on!
1. twenty one pilots didn’t have their first hit until the release of their fourth album, Blurryface.
2. The Blurryface character was created to address singer Tyler Joseph’s insecurities.
3. The name "twenty one pilots" comes from a play Joseph studied in theatre class called All My Sons.
4. Muse’s Matt Bellamy won’t let anyone hear him sing in the studio unless there’s an accompanying instrument.
5. Madonna’s Maverick label signed Muse in 1998 but didn’t care for Bellamy’s falsetto singing style. They asked him to sing “Plug In Baby” in a lower register and he refused, so they parted ways.
6. Matt Bellamy used his zipper to create a unique sound on Muse’s Origin of Symmetry track “Space Dementia.”
7. The Killers’ often criticized ‘Human’ lyrics, “are we human or are we dancer?” were inspired by Hunter S. Thompson, who once declared that America was "raising a generation of dancers."
8. The Killers’ “Mr. Brightside” video was inspired by Moulin Rouge.
9. The Killers were almost called The Genius Sex Poets, and that band name is scrawled on the drum kit in the “Mr. Brightside” video.
10. The band’s singer/guitarist Rivers Cuomo’s childhood nickname was “Weezer.”
11. Weezer’s first show ever, in 1992, was an opening set for Keanu Reeves’ band Dogstar.
12. Weezer’s iconic album Pinkerton was initially going to be a science-fiction rock opera called Songs From the Black Hole.
13. All four members of Rise Against are vegetarian.
14. Three members of Rise Against are straight edge.
15. Rise Against’s frontman Tim McIlrath has two different colored eyes — one blue and one brown.
16. Born Sarah Grace McLaughlin, the artist got her stage name from the Scottish town her parents are from, Bishopbriggs.
17. Bishop Briggs grew up in Tokyo and Hong Kong. Shortly after moving to Tokyo, at the age of 4, she sang at a karaoke bar and knew she wanted to be a performer.
18. Though she’s been singing her whole life, Bishop Briggs still gets stage fright.
19. The Revivalists formed when guitarist Zack Feinberg rode his bike past the house of David Shaw and heard him singing on the porch. They got to talking and jammed together later that day.
20. The Revivalists’ hit single “Wish I Knew You” came out came out nearly 10 years after the band formed.
21. Shaw considers songwriting a “great escape” where he can be who he wants to be.
PHOTOS: Getty Images