Group Warns Keyless Ignitions Causing Increase In Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

By Bill Galluccio

December 6, 2018

keyless ignition

A non-profit organization is warning of the potential dangers of keyless ignition systems following the tragic deaths of a father and his two young children in Kentucky. The father, Juvenal Garcia Mora, turned on his car to warm it up, causing carbon monoxide to fill his garage and poison him, his three-year-old son Cruz Isaac Garcia and his eight-year-old daughter Mayra Garcia

While accidental deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning have been occurring for years, Janette Fennell, president of, said that the group has seen the number increase as keyless ignition systems become more prevalent.

"As more keyless ignition vehicles are sold, we are seeing an increase in these predictable and preventable injuries and deaths," Fennell warned. 

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, over 400 people die every year as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning from vehicles and the group has linked 28 fatalities and 71 injuries to cars with keyless ignition systems

The biggest issue is that it can be very easy to forget to turn your car off after you park it in the garage. While you need the key fob to start the car, it will remain on even if the key fob is removed from the vehicle. 

The group says that you should never warm up a car when it is in an enclosed space, such as a garage and they recommend installing carbon monoxide detectors so you will be alerted if the concentration of the colorless and odorless gas becomes too high.

Photo: Getty Images

Chat About Group Warns Keyless Ignitions Causing Increase In Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Advertise With Us

For You

    Music, radio and podcasts, all free. Listen online or download the iHeartRadio App.


    © 2021 iHeartMedia, Inc.