Michigan Man Dies After He Falls Into Tank of Sulfuric Acid
By R.J. Johnson - @rickerthewriter
February 11, 2019
A 54-year-old man in Michigan died over the weekend after he fell into a tank of sulfuric acid in what's being described as a "serious industrial accident" at a South Lyon-based steel manufacturer.
South Lyon police responded to a call at Michigan Seamless Tube in South Lyon Saturday after they received a report that a worker there had fallen into a "chemical solution." The victim was pulled out of the tank and rushed to the University of Michigan Medical Center in Ann Arbor around 12:30 p.m.
It's unknown how the man fell into in the tank or how long he was in there before his coworker pulled him out. Police say the temperature of the acid was at least 160 degrees at the time of the accident.
The victim died from his injuries at the hospital, authorities said.
Sulfuric acid is a strong corrosive acid that can cause severe burns and tissue damage when it comes in contact with skin.
South Lyon police say they're investigating the incident.