14 Things You Might Not Know about Birthday Boy Peter Frampton
By Dave Basner
April 22, 2019
1. The first instrument Peter ever learned was a banjolele, a banjo-shaped ukulele. As a seven year old, he found it in his grandmother’s attic and taught himself to play it.
2. Frampton joined his first band at age 12. It was called The Little Ravens.
4. As a 14 year old, Peter was in a group calledThe Preachers, which was produced and managed by Rolling Stone Bill Wyman.
6. Frampton was introduced to the talk box during his work with George Harrison. Using the guitar effect would become one of his trademark styles.
8. For a long time, Frampton Comes Alive! was the biggest-selling live album. It currently is the fourth biggest and has been certified six-times platinum for sales over six-million copies.
9. Frampton actually regrets the iconic shirtless photo of himself that appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone because it changed his image from a credible artist to a teen idol.
10. Peter was a technical advisor on the film Almost Famous. He also served as star Billy Crudup’s guitar instructor and appears in the movie briefly as the road manager for Humble Pie.
11. Peter nearly died in a car accident in the Bahamas in 1978. He suffered broken bones, a concussion and muscle damage.
12. Frampton cites the attacks on September 11th as the reason he chose to become a US citizen.
13. Peter has lived in London; Westchester County, New York; LA; a suburb of Cincinnati and currently resides in Nashville.
14. Peter is a vegetarian.