Six Suspects Now Under Arrest In David Ortiz Shooting
By R.J. Johnson - @rickerthewriter
June 12, 2019
Dominican Republic's chief prosecutor, Jean Alain Rodriguez announced on Wednesday that authorities there had detained six suspects in the shooting of former Red Sox slugger David 'Big Papi' Ortiz. Authorities are still on the hunt for a seventh suspect in Sunday's night's shooting in Santo Domingo, the Associated Press reports.
The alleged shooter was identified as Rolfy Ferreyra, also known as "Sandy."
So far, authorities have not given a motive for Sunday night's shooting. However, Police Maj. Gen. Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte said one man who coordinated the attack was offered 400,000 Dominican pesos (around $7,800) to carry out the shooting. That person is among the six currently in custody.
Security footage captured video of two men on a motorcycle talking with some other suspects in a gray Hyundai Accent, and again to another Hyundai on a nearby street moments before the shooting occurred.
"In one of the videos it was possible to observe both the accused and the shooter planning the commission of the incident right on Octavio Mejía Ricard Street, which is parallel to the place where the event took place," prosecutors said in the court document.
The Red Sox Star was flown to Boston for treatment where doctors say he is expected to make a full recovery. Doctors had to remove part of the baseball star's gallbladder, as well as part of his intestines. He's currently recovering in the intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital. His wife, Tiffany Ortiz said in a statement that the former Red Sox star was in guarded condition, but is making good progress toward recovery.
"Yesterday and this morning, David was able to sit up as well as take some steps," his wife,Tiffany Ortiz said. "His condition is guarded, and he will remain in the ICU for the coming days, but he is making good progress towards recovery."
Photo: Getty Images