Raccoon in Florida Goes on Wild 16-Mile Ride on Top of Wonder Bread Truck
By R.J. Johnson - @rickerthewriter
September 20, 2019
A raccoon in southwest Florida was in for a wild ride this week after it managed to hang on to the top of a Wonder Bread delivery truck making its rounds for more than 16-miles. The delivery truck driver said the furry stowaway managed to ride on top of the truck for more than 16 miles at 55 mph.
The driver sounded the alarm with 911 once he realized his truck had a stowaway and sounded worried about the raccoon in audio of the call released by WBBH-TV.
- Dispatcher: "911, what is your emergency?"
- Driver: "Yeah, I didn't know who to call, but I have a raccoon on top of my bread truck....and everyone has been beeping me on the street telling me, you got something up there!"
- Driver: "I got out of the truck and I look up and there's a raccoon up there."
- Driver: "He's scared. I didn't know who to call."
- Dispatcher: "All right, we'll go ahead and get someone out there to help you, OK?"
- Driver: "OK, you're the best. Thank you."
The driver pulled over at a fast food restaurant where he, along with Cape Coral police tried to get the creature off the top of the vehicle. At one point, they even backed the vehicle up against a tree, hoping the raccoon would take the hint.
However, the furry little stowaway wasn't about to give up his ride home. Wildlife experts said police and the driver should just let the raccoon be and let it keep riding along since neither the driver, nor officers wanted to be scratched by the animal.
So, the driver continued back to the company's headquarters, with the raccoon along for the ride. The company told the station that the raccoon has disappeared and is no longer on the truck any more.
Photo: Getty Images