This is What People Eat Most During Mercury Retrograde
By Emily Lee
February 18, 2020
Sometimes the stars just dont align. Yes, we're talking about when mercury goes in retrograde. For those who don't wake up and check their astrology app first thing in the morning, Retrograde is when a planet— in this case, Mercury, which is the planet of communication and rational thinking— appears to go backward in its orbit, as viewed from Earth. According to Farmer's Almanac, Astronomers refer to this as “apparent retrograde motion,” because it is an optical illusion. Even though Mercury isn't actually traveling backwards, Astronomers (and those who follow astrology) believe Mercury Retrograde negatively effects life on Earth and can lead to, well, chaos.
Beginning on Wednesday (February 17), Mercury went into Retrograde for the first time this decade. In order to curb the chaos believed to be associated with Mercury Retrograde, many astrologers suggest people avoid making significant financial decisions, traveling, and accepting new job offers just to be on the safe side.
One way people cope with the ups and downs of Mercury Retrograde is by eating their feelings. DoorDash pulled together the top foods people have ordered in past Mercury Retrogrades in an effort to help people choose which comfort foods to help them through the next few weeks. Mercury Retrograde will last until March 10, after all. Here's what DoorDash found:
- Comfort Food Reigns Supreme: French Fries are the most ordered food during Mercury in Retrograde. Chicken Nuggets comes in second, and Quesadillas came in third for the top eats. Bacon Cheeseburgers and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are two of the top trending items as well.
- Cravings for Sweets: Cravings for sweets increase during this uneasy period as orders of chocolate chip cookies spiked over 170% and ice cream spiked over 70% during last year’s retrogrades.
- States in Retrograde: Montana seems to feel Retrograde the most, followed by Maryland, and then California, based on ordering data
DoorDash also broke down the data by the top trending items ordered during Retrograde, the top ordered items, top cuisines, and the states that used DoorDash that most during 2019's Mercury Retrogrades. Here's what they discovered?
Top Trending Items Ordered during Mercury in Retrograde:
- Chocolate Chip Cookies (+173%)
- Bacon Cheeseburgers (+84%)
- Grilled Cheese (+77%)
- Ice Cream (+73%)
- Mac & Cheese (+15%)
Top Ordered Items During Mercury in Retrograde:
- Chicken Nuggets
- Chips & Queso
- Fried Rice
- Pad Thai
Top Ordered Cuisines During Retrograde:
- Fast Food
- Wings/Fried Chicken
The States that Ordered the Most During Retrograde 2019:
What will you be ordering this Mercury Retrograde?