Every Nod to the '90s in Charli XCX & Troye Sivan's '1999' Music Video
By Taylor Fields
October 12, 2018
It was an exciting time! There were some great movies made (*cough cough, Titanic, cough cough*), it was THE time for boy bands (you still listen to BSB and *NSYNC and you know it), and it was also a time of fantastic fashion trends. And in Charli and Troye's "1999" visual, we get to relive it all and party like it's 1999.
"1999" is full of '99 references in the lyrics alone. Like in the chorus when they sing, "I just wanna go back, sing 'Hit me baby, one more time'," a nod to Britney Spears' breakout hit. And in the first verse when Charli says, "Drive 'round listening to Shady like, oh," remembering all of Eminem's iconic songs from that era. And in the music video, they've stepped it up with even more '90s nostalgia.
The "1999" music video, directed by Ryan Staake, remembers all of the biggest pop culture references from that year, including all of the most popular movies, pop stars, fashion trends, tech and so much more. Take a look:
1. Steve Jobs and the colorful iMac computer ad campaign ... with AOL Instant Messenger (AKA AIM)
2. The Spice Girls "Say You'll Be There" music video
4. TLC's "Waterfalls" music video
5. The Sims
6. Baby G Watches
7. The OG viral video: The Dancing Baby
Also known as "Baby Cha-Cha"
8. Marilyn Manson & Rose McGowan at the VMAs
The original naked dress
9. American Beauty
10. The Nokia cell phone that everyone had
And also played Snake on
11. Eminem's "The Real Slim Shady" music video
12. Backstreet Boys' "I Want It That Way" music video
13. *NYSNC's "Thinking of You (I Drive Myself Crazy)" music video
Also, Justin Timberlake's SPAGHETTI HAIR!
14. THE kicks of '99: Sketchers
Not to mention a nod to the New Radicals