Phoenix Sky Harbor Among Top Airports For Guns Found At TSA Checkpoints
By Ginny Reese
January 27, 2021
Though the global pandemic took a toll on travel last year making it the slowest travel year yet, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) found twice as many firearms per million passengers screened at airport security checkpoints nationwide, compared to 2019.
TSA officers found a total of 3,257 firearms on passengers or in their carry-on bags. Of the firearms that were found, about 83 percent of them were loaded.
Senior Official Performing the Duties of TSA Administrator Darby LaJoye stated, "I commend our officers for their commitment to TSA’s security mission by identifying and stopping these weapons at the TSA checkpoints. Firearms are strictly prohibited onboard planes in the passenger cabin. Bringing a firearm to a TSA security checkpoint poses a serious risk to TSA officer and passenger safety, and doing so may result in significant fines or arrest."
How many guns were found at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport?
The airport actually ranked as number four in the country for the most gun finds at TSA checkpoints in 2020. A total of 124 guns were found.
Here are the top 10 airports with total firearm catches by TSA in 2020:
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)- 220
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)- 176
- Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)- 126
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)- 124
- Denver International Airport (DEN)- 104
- Nashville International Airport (BNA)- 94
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)- 87
- Orlando International Airport (MCO)- 79
- Las Vegas McCarran International Airport (LAS)- 72
- Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)- 71
Photo: Getty Images