All-Pro Safety Derwin James Agrees To Record-Setting New Deal

By Jason Hall

August 17, 2022

Los Angeles Chargers v Las Vegas Raiders
Photo: Getty Images

The Los Angeles Chargers have reportedly agreed to a four-year, $76.532 million contract extension with All-Pro safety Derwin James Jr., making him the highest-paid safety in NFL history, NFL Network senior insider Ian Rapoport reports.

James will receive $29 million during his first year of the deal, which is also a record, according to Rapoport, who said the Chargers and the safety "had been close for a few days" and "just closed the gap."

The Chargers seemingly acknowledged the deal, sharing a video of James, wearing yellow sunglasses and a happy face shirt, skipping through rain on their verified Twitter account shortly after Rapoport's report before later confirming the extension, though not specifying the terms of the agreement.

"The Los Angeles Chargers today signed safety Derwin James Jr., to a multi-year contract extension," the team said in a news release shared on their official website.

James was selected by the Chargers at No. 17 overall in the 2018 NFL Draft and has been among the league's best safeties throughout his first four NFL seasons.

James was selected as a first-team All-Pro and a Pro Bowler during his rookie season, as well as in 2021.

The former Florida State University standout enters his fifth season with 257 career tackles, five interceptions, 19 pass deflections, 5.5 sacks and three forced fumbles.

James was a five-star high school prospect, ranking as the No. 1 overall safety and No. 5 overall prospect for the 2015 national recruiting cycle before a decorate collegiate career at FSU, which included being selected as a first-team All-American in 2017 and a two-time first-team All-ACC safety in 2016 and 2017.

Advertise With Us

For You

    Music, radio and podcasts, all free. Listen online or download the iHeart App.

    Connect

    © 2022 iHeartMedia, Inc.