How do you respond when something is seemingly impossible? Especially when it's life or death?
At 21 years old, Doug Lindsay developed a rapid heart rate, dizziness and fainting spells which led him to fear that he was suffering the same mysterious illness that affected his mother and aunt. As symptoms became debilitating, Doug dropped out of college and spent the next 11 years bedbound.
Doctors were baffled, so Doug scoured medical textbooks in a relentless, 14-year pursuit to not only diagnose the mysterious illness, but also develop the treatment and assemble the team that would ultimately perform the innovative surgery.
If you're seeking a message of hope, perseverance and a reason to believe the best of our days remain in front of us, this episode is for you.
DOUG LINDSAY'S LIVE INSPIRED 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read? The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.
2. What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today? The belief in others.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? My computer and my mom’s Bible from high school.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? I’d have to meet with my mom although I admire Thomas Jefferson, Marcus Aurelius and Aristotle. I’d share how proud of her I am for the example she set as someone who lived with suffering yet grace.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? In science, you run the experiment.
6. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self? Leaving aside my medical diagnosis, love beyond your small family unit. Love is real.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? My story is complex enough so I feel like it will be: That’s the guy that did that thing.***
About our sponsor: Keeley Companies wholeheartedly believes that if you get the people right -the results will follow. They set themselves apart with a forward-thinking culture that empowers their people and fosters loyal partnerships. Keeley Companies are a proud sponsor, partner, and super fan of the Live Inspired Podcast. Learn more about Keeley Companies.
If you can never get enough true crime... Congratulations, you’ve found your people.
This is what the news should sound like. The biggest stories of our time, told by the best journalists in the world. Hosted by Michael Barbaro. Twenty minutes a day, five days a week, ready by 6 a.m.
Current and classic episodes, featuring compelling true-crime mysteries, powerful documentaries and in-depth investigations.