In May of 2020 COVID-19 cases in the U.S. had begun to increase since first seeing signs of COVID-19 appear as early as March. Cities around the country begun the "shelter at home order" and many businesses started to close, Rashanah chatted with two prominent dentists, Dr. Alexandra Jundt and Dr. Kenya McCaleb owners of Smile Theory at Millennium Park in downtown Chicago to explore the new normal for business owners and the field of dentistry.
Dr. Alex and Dr. Kenya shared very important tips, precautions to take, and how they are serving their clients at the height of the pandemic plus what the new normal had become for the dental professionals.
Here are some tips Dr. Alex and Dr. Kenya recommended following:
1. Wash your hands before brushing and flossing. The CDC recommends washing your hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds. You can also use hand sanitizer, but make sure to wash your hands before touching your mouth to reduce introducing your mouth and body full harmful bacteria and/or viruses.
2. Replace your toothbrush after you feel sick. Make sure to replace your toothbrush with a new one so you don’t risk infection. If you use an electric toothbrush, just replace the head. Generally, we recommend replacing toothbrushes every three months.
3. If you suffer from dry mouth, be sure to avoid using regular alcohol-based mouthwash. Stay hydrated and look for mouthwashes that have “alcohol-free” on the label.
4. Stay healthy, mentally, and physically during this time by exercising, maintaining a healthy balanced diet, reading a good book, or possibly maintaining a daily journal.
5. Communicate respectfully to loved ones while living together during this time, by maintaining a healthy open dialogue with everyone within the household- as well as communicating with loved ones outside the household.
6. Continue to brush and floss after meals and in between snacking-as well as before bedtime and in the morning to reduce the development of caries (decay).
Smile Theory at Millennium Park believes that by fostering an environment of communication and delivering the highest standard of care possible, our patients will leave feeling confident — ready to proudly show off their signature smile!
Follow @RashanahBaldwin everywhere – Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. Want to see the showcase of Someone You Need To Know, visit www.rashanahbaldwin.com
Have thoughts about the episode? Share on social media using the hashtag #SomoneYouNeedToKnow. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with feedback or questions! Be sure to subscribe to her youtube channel as well! @RashanahB
This episode is sponsored by
· Anchor: The easiest way to make a podcast. https://anchor.fm/app
Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/rashanah-baldwin/message
Support this podcast: https://anchor.fm/rashanah-baldwin/support