On this episode of Supercharged Life, Dr. Judy has a candid and heartfelt conversation with LeCrae, two-time grammy award winning hip hop artist, activist and author of I Am Restored- How I Lost My Religion but Found My Faith. Despite his tremendous success, LeCrae feared revealing his true self to everyone in the world, including his own family. LeCrae discusses the struggles with addiction, depression, and anxiety as he fought for acceptance from the world after enduring physical, emotional, and sexual abuse before the age of 10, and how he ultimately found it in unexpected ways through stepping away from nonstop work and productivity, the major things that always brought him affirmation and self-worth.
In an unprecedented step, Lecrae took a sabbatical from his music career and took the time to go to therapy despite the shame and stigma around seeking professional help. He details important lessons about effective healing practices and how he mended his relationships with his family to find real, unconditional love. If you need inspiration for self-compassion, starting anew after trauma and pain, or simply need a refresh on your mental health and wellness practices, this is an episode you don’t want to miss. Dr. Judy gives you five practical tools to discover your true self and move through life with conviction and authenticity.
Pick up a copy of Lecrae’s fantastic new book I am Restored at https://lecrae.com/restored.
If you have a problem or issue that relates to today’s topics, download and subscribe today and Supercharge your life now! And if you have questions you need answered, follow and DM Dr. Judy on Instagram @drjudyho and she will get to as many questions as possible on her next episode of Ask Dr. Judy!
On this episode, we discuss:
1. Masking to fit in (4:00)
2. When LeCrae came face-to-face with his past (5:30)
3. How to find acceptance (10:20)
4. Overcoming stigma for mental health care (16:15)
5. Defined by success? The importance of a sabbatical (18:00)
6. The importance of restorative days (22:00)
7. Why shame is a big liar (24:00)
8. Unconditional love and self love (25:00)
9. Intergenerational trauma – how can we solve the problem? (28:35)
10. LeCrae’s community projects in Atlanta and the gift of mentorship (33:00)
11. SuperCharged Secret of the Day: Discovering and Honoring Your True Self (35:45)
To submit questions for Dr. Judy to answer anonymously, go to this link:
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices