Jussie Smollett Sues City of Chicago
By Peyton Blakemore
November 20, 2019
Jussie Smollett isn't giving up.
The former Empire star is continuing to fight to prove his innocence and is now suing the City of Chicago for malicious prosecution, TMZ reports. According to the lawsuit, obtained by the outlet, Jussie claims officials created a false narrative, naming him as the mastermind of his alleged attack, which has cost him a lot.
In the lawsuit, the 37-year-old actor says that his alleged attackers, the Osundairo brothers, Abel and Ola Osundairo, "were held for 47 hours and they adamantly denied any involvement in the assault." Noting that "it was only after they were assured they'd get immunity that they started spinning the tale of a fake attack on the streets of Chicago." Jussie added that to this day "he doesn't know what involvement, if any, the Osundairo brothers had in the attack." He did, however, claim that he believes "the brothers were lured into the smear campaign by cops. the primary attacker was a white male," TMZ reports.
In addition to suing the City, Jussie is also reportedly suing the Osundairo brothers and several officials, including Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson.
As previously reported, Jussie claimed he was assaulted by two men wearing ski masks. He said he had just arrived in Chicago from New York and made a late-night run to a Subway when someone yelled: "Aren't you that f**got 'Empire' n**ga?" He claimed the two attackers, later identified as the Osundairo brothers then proceeded to jump him, put a rope around his neck and pour bleach on him. Jussie additionally claimed his attackers shouted, "this is MAGA country!"
Jussie was later accused of staging the January hate crime against himself for attention and monetary gain. While he was charged with 16 felony counts of disorderly conduct for the alleged lie, the actor was cleared of all charges in connection to the case in March.
The City of Chicago is now suing Jussie to recover the costs of investigating the case.
Photo: Getty Images