Get inspired to realize your childhood dreams on this episode of SuperCharged Life with the brilliant and funny Dr. Mike Massimino, NASA astronaut, professor, speaker, and bestselling author of Spaceman: An Astronaut’s Unlikely Journey to Unlock the Secrets of the Universe.
Astro Mike shows you how to live an extraordinary life every single day even during times of extreme stress and conflict, and reminds us of the universalities of being human and what practical gratitude looks like during challenging and divisive times. Dr. Mike didn’t let failure stop him, and despite his fear of heights, having poor eyesight, and being rejected by NASA three times, he persevered and became an astronaut who completed four space walks and is the first astronaut ever to tweet from space. He continues to pay it forward now as a professor at Columbia University and a Senior Advisor for Space Programs at the Intrepid Sea, Air, & Space Museum.
Despite all of his accomplishments, Astro Mike is down-to-earth and imparts the importance of teams and teaches you how his concept of “mission control” can be applied to your life to build resilience, overcome obstacles, and manage stressful situations. Astro Mike is a fascinating storyteller, and his incredible life lessons from childhood to present day will encourage you to live each day to the fullest and experience passion and joy while pursuing your goals.
Pick up a copy of Dr. Mike’s phenomenal book Spaceman (also available in young readers version) on his webite https://www.mikemassimino.com/
On this episode, we discuss:
1. When Dr. Mike first dreamed of being an astronaut (4:25)
2. Why never giving up pays: Astro Mike’s journey to the stars (8:30)
3. Astro Mike’s first launch into space: What flight school doesn’t prep you for (14:50)
4. View of earth from the Hubble: Astro Mike’s spacewalk (18:55)
5. Managing stress and tapping into your mission control (21:50)
6. The beauty in everyday life: gratitude practices from an astronaut’s perspective (27:45)
7. Getting out of your comfort zone and why it’s crucial for development (29:25)
8. Building psychological resilience and living with purpose (32:30)
9. What Astro Mike wants you to learn from his life story (38:40)
10. Message to all the young boys and girls of the world (and the young at heart) (40:20)
11. SuperCharged Secret of the Day: Flip the Script on Stress with 5 Tips (42:00)
To submit questions for Dr. Judy to answer anonymously, go to this link:
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices